A preloader in the shape of a lightning bolt
Forum > Miscellaneous > Topic
Notes for Improvement..?
|
10/02/2012
|
Comments (7)
Miscellaneous
Hi. I love the idea of Tongal and I think its great to be a part of an active community of creative people, pushing each other and themselves.

However, as someone who has had multiple pitches denied, and most recently a video denied, I feel strongly that it'd be helpful not only to individual submitters but also benefit the whole community, if upon our failures, we knew why.

I know Idea phases get zillions of entries and an idea is just a spark, and they are what they are. But Pitches and especially Video submissions are brainstormed and developed and brought to fruition. How will I or anyone else improve to the point of generating winning work, unless we know what we're doing wrong?

Even if its words, sentence fragments, that an intern is jotting down when the client/judge is reviewing. "Too short. Too dull. Lighting was bogus. Too many lens flares. Voice acting stunk. Inconsistent audio quality. The mix was off." Any or all of the above.

Like I started with. I love this website. I work in VFX, Animation and Film in Hollywood. I mention it to my colleagues and most people I meet, once I find out they're even remotely creative. But it is immensely frustrating to spend 3-4 weeks, up until 2AM working on a project, which I felt confident about and had a lot of fun making, and then just not hear anything. Maybe I was #6 in the rankings, maybe I was second to last. I have no clue. I can't even compare my work to that of the winners, to decide for myself what I did wrong.

If my submission was the worst, I'd like to know, so I can step away from any future submissions. But if I narrowly missed the top 5, or made some simple mistake, I'll approach my next submission with an unstoppable tenacity and hunger. PLUS I'd actually grow from the knowledge.

But instead, I'm left in a middle-zone now. Confused as to why my work that was good enough to be in the actual Avengers film wasn't good enough for a LEGO homage.

Clearly, I don't expect regime changes from my sole experience, but I can only imagine that all of the losers of every competition would like to know why, and it most certainly would only help your community grow stronger. It'd even act as a gateway between members. "Oh man, mine was good except for the lighting." "oh yeah? I know lighting stuff, but they said my VFX was bogus." "Oh dude, I can help with that if you give me some tips on your lighting." etc
Comments (7)
Lain Mejia
Lain Mejia
10/04/2012
I do Agree with you taylor...same situation here.
Jeff Andrew
Jeff Andrew
10/04/2012
Fantastic suggestion! I agree.
Taylor Armstrong
Taylor Armstrong
10/08/2012
:-(
James DeJulio
James DeJulio Tongal
10/08/2012
Hi Taylor - with regards to Pitches - Sponsors generally take several things into consideration 1) Past performance on Tongal. IMO the best way to raise your profile and win Pitches consistently is to make a wild card and place in an open competition. 2) How thorough the Pitch is - ie, did you---
James DeJulio
James DeJulio Tongal
10/08/2012
--include a visual pitch/storyboard? 3) outside work that is directly attributable to you. with regards to a video that was submitted, let us think of ways to efficiently incorporate a feedback loop into the review process. I think you submitted for Marvel LEGO contest - that was highly---
Page 1/2
Page Sizes: 
5
 
10