A preloader in the shape of a lightning bolt
Forum > General > Topic
What's the norm?
|
06/01/2016
|
Comments (3)
General
I'm just trying to get a sense for how long folks have had to wait before having success with an idea submission? (i.e., X number of submissions or weeks on Tongal).

I know it varies, but I'm hoping to stay motivated. I'm wondering if I'm in good company just plugging away without any wins :)
Comments (3)
Kyle Elliott
Kyle Elliott
06/02/2016
If you haven't figured it out yet, Tongal is far from Normal! I got incredibly lucky and won with the very first idea I submitted, but other people I'm friends with had to submit over 100 ideas before they started to get on a roll with Tongal. I started last year with a 5 month/400 losing submissions in a row before I turned my luck around winning 3 projects in the same week. It definitely gets a lot easier to stay motivated after you have that first win under your belt and you get that first check in the mail/bank account. Until then, just keep writing! Most of the projects are only the size of a tweet, and you'd probably be spending that few minutes on Youtube or playing Candy Crush if you weren't spending it writing, so it's usually not cutting into anything too important! There's a lot of competition on here, but all it takes is 1 good idea that gets the brand's attention. There are plenty of people out there still looking for their first wins. Sooner or later you'll find that project you have the perfect idea for, and it'll all come together. Until then all you can do is keep submitting!
Kyle Elliott
Kyle Elliott
06/02/2016
If you're more into statistics... I've submitted 1663 submissions and have 32 wins. So, roughly 1 out of every 52 ideas I've submitted has gotten picked as a winner. Tongal and the TSA Checkpoints at the airport are the only 2 places where you can fail 51 out of every 52 times and still be considered successful. It can get rough when you aren't winning, but it's all worth it when you eventually get that check in the mail. It's definitely a lot easier to stay motivated after you get that first win under your belt. Until then, just keep submitting!
Stacey Han
Stacey Han
06/02/2016
Kyle, thanks so much for the encouragement and the stats! Great to see what the batting average is. Definitely puts it into perspective and keeps me in the game. ;-)
Page Sizes: 
Page Sizes: