In the land of monsters, in a haunted castle, that…even among haunted castles, stands out as especially brooding and grim, we find the infamous mastermind, Lord Vampyre--who has just completed his research and concoted an evil spell nearly ready to be released—
If …he can just…combine…6 moonstones… currently guarded, by 6 (count ‘em, 6) monsters, his spell will eclipse the sun for good! Flooding the world in eternal darkness—awakening an entire Monster Army and unleashing MASS HYSTERIA.
Pretty grim. Right? But….
Somebody’s keeping L. Vampyre’s sordid group of monster lackeys from bringing him the 6 moonstones he needs. Who’s waxing the Werewolf? Stifling The Swamp Monster? Vexing The Voodoo Doctor and his Zombies? Keeping The Crazy Scientist and his Monster in check? Making sure The Mummy is under wraps? And who’s keeping Lord V’s Army of Ghosts in their trenches? Who is keeping them all from crossing the threshold to the world of humans???
Five Monster Fighters. Five fearless adventurers. Five indefatigable heroes of countless creepy confrontations—five faithful who have sworn to do battle with these ghouls, sworn to retrieve the moonstones safely, and sworn to prevent Lord Vampyre from plunging the world into eternal darkness!
- • Dr. Rodney Rathbone – the brilliant, aristocratic team leader. Natch.
- • Ann Lee - adept with a broomstick – a peeerless destroyer of Ghosts.
- • Frank Rock – a motorcycle rebel. He’s avenging a (paranormal) dog-snatching at the hands of Swamp Monster.
- • Major Quentin Steele - an old-fashioned big game hunter, with a taste for exotic prey. Right… werewolves.
- • Jack MacHammer – the burly Scottish lumberjack (keyed on The Crazy Scientist’s Monster).
Together, they are the Monster Fighters. And their battle to save the world is on!
To read the full bios of this cast of characters, click here.
To check out the brand new Monster Fighters Teaser Site, click here.
Create a must-see / must-forward / must “like” / must “pin” 30-120 second animated (any type you wish) short that will support the release of LEGO Monster Fighters. Feel free to explore the Monster Fighters storyline through your own unique perspective in a fun, engaging and unexpected way--the idea is to make kids, parents and adult LEGO fans clamor with excitement over this new (and really awesome) product line.
It’s your choice, choose to drill down, go deep and tell a story centered on a specific monster or hero, or tell a broad, encompassing story that features multiple characters and storylines.
Feel free to push the envelope – Be bold, and explore any idea or style (humor, viral, action/epic) but keep in mind:
--Target Audience: 9 to 11+ year olds. Sure, the tone, feel, and sensibility can appeal to adults, but it must also be accessible to this younger group. We fully expect that this will be as exciting and fun for you as the product is for the kids who use it. And we’re confident that your having fun with this is the key to creating the executions LEGO is looking for.
--Note: While there is certainly “action” and “battle” in this theme/story, please no “Tarantino” violence.
--Exposure: The winning videos will be used this spring by LEGO in multiple capacities including monsterfighters.lego.com, YouTube and potentially Cartoon Network and VOD.
This project will be worth a total of $20,000 and consist of three phases. Also, this tournament style process will progress differently from previous projects, so be sure to read the following information carefully.
PHASE 1: CONCEPT – Tell us your Concept for a 30-90 second animated or animation/live action video designed to create viral buzz and excitement around LEGO Monster Fighters in 250 characters or less. The best Concepts will not only serve as input for an amazing video, but also thematically convey the fun and dynamism of the Monster Fighters world. Remember, a Concept is not a detailed script; it is a moment of inspiration, or a distillation of what will happen in the Video. As always, Concepts should be clever, engaging, and f-u-n. Winning Concepts creators will each receive $100, a Monster Fighters Gift Pack (Vampyre Herse and Werewolf SKUs) and a 5% residual payment for every winning video their Concept is used to generate.
PHASE 2: PITCH – Using text (500 characters or less), images (storyboards), video, and external links (to other supporting assets, i.e., your reel, etc.), give us your Pitch for how YOU would go about producing this Video based on one of the FIVE winning Concepts. The SEVEN most compelling Pitches will be selected and will receive a $500 production budget to help create their Video. Those winners (upon submitting their Winner's Affidavit and IP Assignment) will also be GUARANTEED to place in the subsequent Video Phase. So, if your Pitch is selected, you will earn a minimum of $1,000 with a 1-in-8 shot at the $8,000 first place video prize. Remember your Pitch can include any, and all, of the assets mentioned above, but you MUST include a link to some of your previous video work on Tongal or elsewhere to be considered for this phase. For an example of an effective pitch, check out Sean Clark’s winning Benjamin Moore “Find Your Perfect Color” Pitch. To avoid information cascades, all Pitches will remain private until after the video winners of the subsequent phase are announced. Alternatively, even if you don’t win the Pitch Phase or choose not to create a pitch, you will still have the opportunity to create a “Wild Card” Video completely of your own creative devices in the subsequent Phase.
PHASE 3: VIDEO – Winning Pitch creators from the previous phase will utilize their $500 advance to create a 30-90 second video based upon their winning materials and all other creators are invited to enter a “Wild Card” submission that’s not based on any winning material from the previous phases. Remember, the SEVEN Pitch winners are GUARANTEED prizes, as is ONE of the non-pitch video creators.
Tongal has partnered with Audiosocket, a boutique music licensing and technology company representing more than 2,400 emerging bands, composers and record labels. This is not "stock" music. It is an inventory of more than 40,000 original, culturally relevant songs and music that have been compiled into a premium roster. Audiosocket's music will be available to Tongal members at no charge solely for their incorporation into Tongal members' submissions to the Monster Fighters Project. Tongal members are encouraged to browse the Audiosocket roster, available by clicking on the "Audiosocket" button on the right hand side of this page. If you are interested in using a track from the Audiosocket roster, as described above, just add the track(s) you want to use to your cart using the "+cart" button, then click the "checkout" button. Enter the Tongal project name and click the "purchase and download" button to acquire the track for free ($0.00). Lastly, click the "download track" button, which will initiate the music file download.
1. Videos MUST not exceed 120 seconds in length. Preferred format is HD 720p 16x9. Acceptable file formats are .mov, .avi, .mp4, .wmv. Acceptable codecs are H.264 (MP4), MPEG-4, H.263, MPGV, WMV, DivX.
2. Unless provided otherwise, all work must be your own original creation and free of any copyrighted material. You shall provide detailed information of your work regarding the source, the creator and background information as requested by Tongal.
3. Videos must feature LEGO Monster Fighters products.
4. In the event you utilize any third party materials, such as music provided by a third-party music provider, you must obtain full written license and consent from the owner of such third party materials and provide such license and consent forms to Tongal.
5. Submissions cannot contain any profanity, offensive language, nudity or otherwise objectionable material, the determination of which is solely at the discretion of LEGO.
6. Submissions must not portray LEGO in a negative way, the determination of which will solely reside with LEGO.
7. Videos must be in the English language or subtitled.
8. Limit 5 submission(s) per member, per phase.
9. Minimum 100 Pitches, or the contest may repost for fourteen (14) days at the sponsor's discretion.
10. Sponsor will be entitled to one reasonable round of revisions on the finished videos without providing additional compensation. Remember it's easier to re-edit than re-shoot so try to get as much coverage as possible.
11. In addition to the standard Tongal W-9, Winner Affidavit, and IP Assignment, winning video creators MUST also provide Talent, Location, and Music Releases for all assets appearing in the video as well as the project files, editing sequence and an uncompressed quicktime .mov file in either Animation or ProRes 422 codecs at either 1920x1080 or 1280x720 to claim their prize.
12. See OFFICIAL RULES for additional contest information, terms and conditions. If there is any conflict or inconsistency between these requirements and the Official Rules, the terms and conditions of these requirements shall prevail.