Colgate-Palmolive Canada Inc., the maker of Lady Speed Stick* Power*, is looking for video submissions that will help build on its current campaign, “Don’t sweat it. HANDLE IT*.” Our goal is to utilize Tongal’s unique community to create engaging videos that show our young woman in humorous situations in which she clearly “Handle(s) it.”
--Target Audience: Our target audience is a young woman, bullseye 22-26. She’s out in the world and starting to make her aspirations come true: first real job, first serious relationship, maybe first condo. Every day, her world is rife with situations …renting a condo, buying that perfect dress, trying a new sport, attracting a hot guy…where she either steps up to the challenge, or misses out. Our girl is definitely the kind that steps up. She is confident, feminine, attractive and daring…”everyday aspirational.”
Learn more about the objectives of this project HERE.
The goal of this project is to create a fun and engaging 15 second video to show a young woman in a humorous situation in which she'll "HANDLE IT*." The story content (totaling :10 seconds) should NOT include any product shots or mentions of Lady Speed Stick*. A :05 second product art card/end frame will be provided for you to drop in, so that your video will total :15 seconds when completed.
Videos should have a fairly simple structure and feature a woman approximately 24 years old as the heroine. Take the opportunity to show that she’s not sweating, by raising her arms naturally as part of the story, wearing clothing that would easily show wetness to show that she’s dry, etc.
There are two main pieces of storytelling:
1) The Tension Moment: show a simple story of a sweat-inducing moment a woman may face (more of an emotional, “freak-out” type sweat, but it could also be an active type of sweat). Use the heroine’s inner monologue to make it clear what she’s thinking, but on the outside, she looks calm, cool and smart. This should be 5 seconds in length.
2) The Win: as a resolution, show how our girl can “HANDLE IT*” in that situation and succeeds in the context of the situation. This doesn’t mean that our girl simply holds composure in an awkward moment – she takes charge, and is responsible for the positive outcome. This should also be 5 seconds in length.
It is very important that there should be a natural pause in the action between the “tension” and the “win” (at the moment of high tension) so that the appropriate branding/brand copy can be inserted. Brand/product art card, end frame, and accompanying AVO will be provided for you to drop in. The copy, “Sweating on the inside?” should occur over the pause in action, then cut to product art card while saying “HANDLE IT* on the outside, with Lady Speed Stick*.”
For examples of the video structure including “Tension Moment,” “Win, ” and use of brand art card and copy, please see previous Lady Speed Stick* "HANDLE IT*" videos at: http://www.ladyspeedstick.ca (PLEASE NOTE: the examples shown on this link are :30s with VOC (Voice on Camera/Dialogue) and should only be used as examples in terms of tone, humor and structure. Your video should be :15 and avoid VOC (Voice on Camera/Dialogue) so that they may be translated into French at a later date. VO (Voice Over)/her Internal Monologue is OK.
The videos should end on our product shot (featuring Lady Speed Stick* Power*) and the trademarked tagline, “Don’t sweat it, HANDLE IT*.” (Again, we will provide this.)
--Tone and Attitude: These are young women you can relate to in realistic but slightly exaggerated situations, dealing with real-life social awkwardness that women in their 20s might find themselves facing. They should be positive, witty, and funny but not overtly sexual or anything else that may be considered offensive. Nor should our girl ever looks clumsy or foolish. Think of an aspirational girlfriend telling a funny story about how she had to step up and own a tough situation.
• Two part structure: The Tension Moment and The Win, separated by brand shot and copy. End on product shot.
• A sweat-inducing situation that’s relevant to our target.
• Humorous inner monologue to carry the story.
• Messaging that is similar to previously produced videos.
• Avoid VOC dialogue, as we will need to adapt at least one of these into French.
• An obvious connection to under arm sweat: needs to feel like she likely would sweat in this situation…but she isn’t.
• A clear victory. An indication that she has come out on top in the eyes of an important/cute guy, a boss, a rival, her peers, etc. She has done this not by good luck or simply maintaining composure, but by stepping up and outsmarting a situation.
• Tight, short, understandable stories.
• Minimize on camera talent to 1-3 people. Any background extras should be non-recognizable.
• Try to use Lady Speed Stick* color cues (purple) in accents or props. Avoid competitive color cues or symbols like lots of blue or white, doves, flowers, checkmarks, etc.
• Open to variety of ethnicities in casting but please recognize Canada’s population is 80% Caucasian, and our largest visible minorities are Asian/South Asian (approximately 10% and growing).
• Also, Canadians tend to relate best to communications that show them as diverse, relatable, relaxed, polite and optimistic, and in recognizable settings ie. nothing over-the-top.
• Must be high quality production as this will be used in broadcast as well as online.
This project is worth a total of $27,000 and will consist of a Pitch phase and a Video phase.
PHASE 1: PITCH – Using text (500 characters or less), images (storyboards), video, and external links (to other supporting assets, i.e., your reel, etc.), give us your Pitch for how YOU would go about producing a Video based on the Project Objective. To ensure that Pitches conform to a consistent format, the pitch submission form for this project will also feature two distinct sections: The Tension Moment (set-up), showing the sweat inducing or freak out moment, and then The Win (pay-off) to show how our girl succeeds. There should be a natural pause in the action / dialogue between the two sections so that the appropriate branding can be inserted at Video phase. The two most compelling Pitches will be selected and will each receive a $1,000 production budget to help create your Video. The two winners (upon submitting his/her Winner's Affidavit and IP Assignment) will also be GUARANTEED to place in the subsequent Video Phase. So, if your Pitch is selected, you will earn a minimum of $3,000 with a 1-in-4 shot at the $15,000 first place video prize. Remember your Pitch can include any, and all, of the assets mentioned above, but you MUST include a link to some of your previous video work on Tongal or elsewhere to be considered for this phase. To avoid information cascades, all Pitches will remain private until after the video winners of the subsequent phase are announced. Alternatively, even if you don’t win the Pitch Phase or choose not to create a pitch, you will still have the opportunity to create a “Wild Card” Video completely of your own creative devices in the subsequent Phase.
PHASE 2: VIDEO – The Winning Pitch creators from the previous phase will utilize their $1,000 advance to create a 15-second video based upon their winning materials and all other creators are invited to enter a “Wild Card” submission that’s not based on any winning material from the previous phases. Please remember that, Wild Card or not, all videos should abide by the two-part structure of The Tension Moment and The Win. Remember, TWO Pitch winners are GUARANTEED a prize, as are TWO of the non-pitch video creators.
1. Video submissions (each, a “Video”) must NOT exceed fifteen (15) seconds in length. To ensure that your submission plays correctly in the Tongal video player, format to HD 1280 X720p 16x9. Acceptable file formats are .mov, .avi, .mp4, .wmv. Acceptable codecs are H.264 (MP4), MPEG-4, H.263, MPGV, WMV, DivX. You are required to submit your final video deliverable in Apple ProRes 422 (HQ). Content requirements: Video – 16 Y’ (Black), 235 Y’ (White); Audio – maximum peaks @ - 10 dB 48 kHz Stereo or Surround 5.1
• Ch 1-2: L-R Front
• Ch 3: Center
• Ch 4: LFE
• Ch 5-6: L-R Surround
• Ch 7-8: Lt-Rt Stereo
NOTE: all HD content intended for broadcast should be supplied with a video resolution of 1920x1080 and a frame rate of 29.97/59.94i.
2. The number of parties (talent) in each video cannot exceed 1-3 people. Extras should be non-recognizeable.
3. Unless otherwise permitted in these General Requirements, all work must be your own original creation and free of any copyrighted material. You shall provide detailed information about your work regarding the source, the creator and any background information, as requested by Tongal, Inc. “Tongal”). Videos must NOT contain any content that is in violation of or infringes any intellectual property rights of any third party, including but not limited to copyrights, trademarks and rights of publicity and privacy. For example videos MUST NOT CONTAIN any Logos, brands, company names and crowd scenes, without appropriate releases. Keep backgrounds and props as GENERIC as possible.
4. You are permitted to use the Colgate-Palmolive trademark, (“Lady Speed Stick*”), the trademarked tagline “Don’t Sweat It, HANDLE IT*” and the visual images provided herein (the "Colgate Intellectual Property" or "Colgate IP") for the limited purpose of creating your entry in accordance with these General Requirements for submission to Tongal’s Lady Speed Stick* Contest. You are not permitted to use the Colgate IP for any other purpose, nor are you permitted to alter or modify the mark or visual images. All right, title, and interest in and to the Colgate IP is and shall remain the sole and exclusive property of Colgate and you shall not acquire any rights therein by reason of these General Requirements. You may not use your submission for any other purpose nor post same to any social media or other website without the express written permission of Colgate. Videos must NOT include any mention of, reference to or visual image of other Colgate-Palmolive products that are unrelated to this Contest [or any products competitive to Colgate-Palmolive’s (Lady Speed Stick*) product such as antiperspirant or deodorant (whether positive or negative). Videos must NOT include any statements, endorsements, testimonials or product claims (express or implied) regarding any Colgate-Palmolive or competitive products.]
5. In the event you utilize any third party materials, such as music provided by a third party music provider, you must obtain a full written license and consent from the owner of such third party materials and provide such license and/or consent form to Tongal. Audiosocket is the preferred third party music provider for the Lady Speed Stick* Project.
Tongal has partnered with Audiosocket, a boutique music licensing agency representing more than 1,400 emerging bands, composers and record labels. Audiosocket tracks will be available to Tongal members at no charge solely for their incorporation into Tongal members' Videos to the Lady Speed Stick* Project. Tongal members are encouraged to browse the Audiosocket catalog, available at http://audiosocket.com/. If you are interested in using a track from the Audiosocket roster, as described above, just add the track(s) you want to use to your cart using the "+cart" button, then click the "checkout" button. Enter the Tongal project name and click the "purchase and download" button to acquire the track for free ($0.00). Lastly, click the "download track" button, which will initiate the music file download. You may only use THREE Audiosocket tracks maximum as part of your video submission.
Any use of an Audiosocket track obtained through Tongal in connection with the Lady Speed Stick* Project that is made outside of such Tongal member's submission to the Lady Speed Stick* Project is strictly prohibited.
6. Videos cannot contain any unsuitable or offensive content, including any profanity, offensive language, sexually-explicit content, nudity, disparaging or libelous content or otherwise objectionable material, the determination of which is solely at the discretion of Colgate-Palmolive Company.
7. Videos must be in the English language or subtitled.
8. Limit five (5) submissions per phase per member.
9. You must have reached the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence in order to submit. Residents of U.S. and Canada EXCLUDING QUEBEC are eligible to submit.
10. In the event that Tongal does not receive a minimum of thirty-five (35) Videos during a phase, no Videos will be selected, and the Lady Speed Stick* Project will repost for fourteen (14) days, or for such period of time as Tongal or Colgate-Palmolive deem necessary to receive a number of Videos to facilitate the Lady Speed Stick* Project itself and the selection of winning Video(s).
11. In addition to the standard Tongal W-9, Winner Affidavit, and IP Assignment, winning Video creators MUST also provide Talent, Location, and Music Releases for all assets appearing in their winning Videos, as well as a copy of a photo ID for all Talent releases. Each winning Video creator must provide broadcast ready Pro Res files that meet the white page tech specs to be provided by Adstream, which will include (1) a Broadcast Master High resolution file , containing high res product pack and logo files supplied by Tongal and edited into the winning entry, (2) a Generic (super-less) high resolution file and (3) a Preview resolution file, as well as audio & music splits as per the white page specs.
12. Winners will be notified via email and those creators will be required to complete, sign, and return an ORIGINAL HARD COPY of their Affidavit of Eligibility and Intellectual Property Release, as well as any other clearance documents (where required by applicable law) within ten (10) business days after the date of notice. All completed forms should be mailed to: 4063a Glencoe Ave, Marina Del Rey, CA 90292.
13. You cannot submit a Video if you currently work or have ever worked for Colgate-Palmolive, Young & Rubicam, Inc. (“Y&R”), Tongal or any competitor of Colgate-Palmolive or if you are the immediate family member (parent, child, sibling or spouse) or household member (whether related or not) of such an employee. You cannot submit a Video if you currently work for, or have other obligations to, a party that would have any ownership or other interest in the Video or if your Video would violate any rights of that party or would be contrary to any of your obligations to that party.
14. You cannot submit any Video that has been entered in any previous contest, won any previous award or been published or distributed in any media (including without limitation on the Internet).
15. You understand that your Video is not being submitted to Tongal in confidence or in trust and that no confidential or fiduciary relationship is intended or created between you and Tongal by submission of your Video. Your Video will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary. Tongal finds that many submissions that it receives, including those from professionals, are identical or substantially similar to content already available in the public domain, that contain elements or content developed by Tongal’s community; or, for a host of many other reasons, are not novel or unique. You acknowledge and agree that Tongal’s use of other material containing elements similar to or identical with those contained in your Video will not obligate Tongal to negotiate with you or entitle you to any compensation and neither Tongal, Colgate-Palmolive nor Y&R will be liable to you in any way.
17. See OFFICIAL RULES for additional Lady Speed Stick* Project and general contest information, terms and conditions. If there is any conflict or inconsistency between these General Requirements and the Official Rules, the terms and conditions of these General Requirements shall prevail.