Vitamin Angels is a charity dedicated to providing essential nutrients to undernourished children around the world. these vitamins help children attain good health and the opportunity to lead meaningful and productive lives.
a specific area of focus for Vitamin Angels is vitamin A. worldwide, an estimated 190 million children under five suffer from vitamin A deficiency (VAD), a major underlying cause of child mortality and blindness around the world. however, with a simple, cost-effective vitamin A capsule every six months Vitamin Angels can help prevent VAD blindness and reduce under-five child mortality by 24% in at-risk populations – and it only costs $0.25 a year per child. simply put, Vitamin Angels is taking on one of the biggest challenges in the world that no one is paying attention to.
vitaminwater® is working hard to change that. through a monetary donation they’ve already given Vitamin Angels the help they need to reach over 2 million kids with vitamin A—but they want to do more. it’s time to tell the world about the work that Vitamin Angels is doing, and who better to accomplish that mission than Tongal?
vitaminwater® wants to create a suite of thought provoking and entertaining videos that grab the attention of the world and explain the importance of Vitamin Angels and its cause to combat child mortality and blindness with vitamin A. and get this--every time someone watches the videos they choose to feature (made by you), vitaminwater® will donate $0.25 to Vitamin Angels—the financial equivalent of a year’s supply of vitamin A for a child, with the hopes of helping Vitamin Angels reach an additional 1 million children.
work together to create a suite of thought provoking and entertaining videos that grab the attention of the world by depicting what living in a world without ‘A’ means…videos that get the world to “p y ttention!” (get it?)
videos should tie back in to vitaminwater's mission to give Vitamin Angels the support they need to prevent VAD around the world, however, your focus should be on telling a compelling story around “what’s a world without A,” with the primary goal of creating a rallying cry that gets people to view and share the video. remember, vitaminwater® will donate $0.25 to Vitamin Angels with every view (enough to buy a year’s supply of vitamin A for one child), so as you can probably guess, the more views the better!
--thought starters: we suggest you get started by putting some thought into ‘A’ in all its forms:
• it’s the first letter children are taught when learning to read.
• and the third most commonly used letter in the english language.
• and if you buy a vowel, this would be the one to invest in.
• because an estimated 190 million children worldwide suffer from vitamin A deficiency.
• a major underlying cause of child mortality and blindness around the world.
• so upon reflection, it seems that the letter is a pretty powerful force…
ultimately, however, the most powerful force is going to be your heart. the authenticity and ability to tell the world---what living in a world without A means to you?
--tone: tone should be upbeat and positive (see for yourself here). Vitamin Angels as an organization is very positive and focuses on showing healthy, happy children and we want to follow their example.
--key message: the message is simple: Vitamin Angels is playing a major role in reducing vitamin A deficiency and in doing so, helping prevent VAD blindness and reduce under-five child mortality by 24%.
--target audience: 18-34 men and women.
--exposure: the best video (or videos) as selected by vitaminwater® will be the centerpiece of an enterprise wide commitment and campaign to raise awareness about the important work that Vitamin Angels is doing to reduce VAD. every time someone watches this video(s) vitaminwater® will donate another $0.25 to Vitamin Angels, which will provide a year of vitamin A for a child.
--additional information: be sure to check out this video, “A Brighter Future.”
this project will be worth a total of $40,000 and consists of three phases, so be sure to read through carefully.
phase 1: idea/tweet – tell us your Idea for a 1 to 2.5 minute video in 140 characters or less. you may submit directly to Tongal or by tweeting it and including the hashtag #withoutA in your tweet. remember, an idea is not a detailed script; it is a spark of inspiration, or a distillation of what will happen in the video. as always, ideas should be clever and engaging. winning idea creators will each receive $250 and a 5% residual payment for every winning video their idea is used to generate. for example, if you are one of the idea winners, and a video producer uses your idea to create a video that wins $10,000, you will receive an additional payment equal to 5% ($500) of that prize. people who submit via the twitter hashtag will need to register for tongal and agree to the tongal terms and conditions in order to receive their prizes.
phase 2: pitch – using text (500 characters or less), images (storyboards), video, and external links (to other supporting assets, i.e., your reel, etc.), give us your pitch for how you would go about producing a video based on one of the winning ideas from the previous phase. the six most compelling pitches will be selected and will receive a $500 production advance to help create their video. those winners (upon submitting their Winner's Affidavit and IP Assignment) will place in the subsequent video phase. so, if your pitch is selected, you will earn a shot at the $15,000 first place video prize. remember your pitch can include any, and all, of the assets mentioned above, but you must include a link to some of your previous video work on Tongal or elsewhere to be considered for this phase. for an example of an effective pitch, check out Sean Clark’s winning “find your perfect color” pitch. to avoid information cascades, all pitches will remain private until after the video winners of the subsequent phase are announced. alternatively, even if you don’t win the pitch phase or choose not to create a pitch, you will still have the opportunity to create a “wildcard” video completely of your own creative devices in the subsequent phase.
phase 3: video – winning pitch creators from the previous phase will utilize their $500 advance to create a 90-120 second video based upon their winning materials and all other creators are invited to enter a “wildcard” submission. remember, the six pitch winners will receive cash prizes, as will four of the wildcard submitters.
--Note: if you choose to use any of the photographs made available on the assets tab of this project, you must credit the photographer (© Matt Dayka/Vitamin Angels) and abide by the linked crediting and usage guidelines.
--Music: tongal has partnered with audiosocket, a boutique music licensing and technology company representing more than 2,400 emerging bands, composers and record labels. this is not "stock" music. it is an inventory of more than 40,000 original, culturally relevant songs and music that have been compiled into a premium roster. audiosocket's music will be available to tongal members at no charge solely for their incorporation into tongal members' submissions to the without A project. tongal members are encouraged to browse the audiosocket roster, available by clicking on the "audiosocket" button on the right hand side of this page. if you are interested in using a track from the audiosocket roster, as described above, just add the track(s) you want to use to your cart using the "+cart" button, then click the "checkout" button. enter the tongal project name and click the "purchase and download" button to acquire the track for free ($0.00). lastly, click the "download track" button, which will initiate the music file download.
1. videos must be between 60 and 150 seconds in length. preferred format is hd 720p 16x9. acceptable file formats are .mov, .avi, .mp4, .wmv. acceptable codecs are h.264 (mp4), mpeg-4, h.263, mpgv, wmv, divx.
2. unless provided otherwise, all work must be your own original creation and free of any copyrighted, trademarked or patented material. you shall provide detailed information of your work regarding the source, the creator and background information as requested by Tongal.
3. videos must not: state by drinking vitaminwater®, you will no longer be undernourished, state that vitaminwater® is donating vitamin A to children (we’re donating money to Vitamin Angels), state that vitaminwater® is curing malnutrition, feature any vitaminwater® bottles.
4. videos must include a provided end bumper found under the assets tab of this page.
5. in the event you utilize any third party materials, such as music provided by a third-party music provider, you must obtain full written license and consent from the owner of such third party materials and provide such license and consent forms to Tongal.
6. submissions cannot contain any profanity, offensive language, nudity or otherwise objectionable material, the determination of which is solely at the discretion of vitaminwater®.
7. submissions must not portray vitaminwater® or Vitamin Angels in a negative way, the determination of which will solely reside with vitaminwater®.
9. videos must be in the english language or subtitled.
10. limit 5 submission(s) per member, per phase.
11. minimum 50 pitches, or the contest will repost for 14 days.
12. sponsor will be entitled to one reasonable round of revisions on the finished videos without providing additional compensation. remember it's easier to re-edit than re-shoot so try to get as much coverage as possible.
13. in addition to the standard Tongal W-9, Winner Affidavit, and IP Assignment, winning video creators must also provide Talent, Location, and Music Releases for all assets appearing in the video as well as the project files, editing sequence and an uncompressed quicktime .mov file in either animation or pro res 422 codecs at either 1920x1080 or 1280x720 to claim their prize.
14. see OFFICIAL RULES for additional contest information, terms and conditions. if there is any conflict or inconsistency between these requirements and the Official Rules, the terms and conditions of these requirements shall prevail.