Well-executed “Rube Goldberg”-type machines are epic. Remember the breakfast machine in the movie Pee Wee’s Big Adventure? The clever way the Goonies opened the gate for Chunk post “Truffle Shuffle” in The Goonies movie? OK Go, anyone???
Well, here’s your chance to put a Rube-y on rails and join the ranks of these incredible, innovative masterminds. HOT WHEELS® WALL TRACKS™ toy vehicles and track sets (live link: http://www.hotwheels.com/walltracks) give you exactly what you need to construct the coolest and craziest “Rube Goldberg”-inspired contraption that you could ever imagine.
We want you to put on your thinking caps to build out the HOT WHEELS® WALL TRACKS™ world of your dreams. The biggest, most complex way you can execute a simple task, the better. Your “Rube Goldberg”-inspired contraption should extend far beyond the limits of your living room and deep into your engineering imagination – run it up the side of a skyscraper or down a rabbit hole. Show how the possibilities are endless by mixing different sets and interchangeable stunts. Blow. Our. Minds.
The goal of this project is to create a fun and exciting 1-2 minute video featuring a super impressive “Rube Goldberg”-inspired setup that shows just how cool HOT WHEELS® WALL TRACKS™ sets can be!
WALL TRACKS™ sets take the action off the floor and onto the wall, but we want your videos to be “off the wall” insane! Well-executed videos will amp up the “wow” factor of the WALL TRACKS™ visuals and draw attention to the different sets in the line. Videos should prominently feature HOT WHEELS® WALL TRACKS™ sets, but you are in no way limited to just those products in the pitch winner package, so feel free to incorporate other HOT WHEELS® track products to really step your contraption up a notch.
BONUS: In addition to receiving a set of HOT WHEELS® WALL TRACKS™ products, the Pitch winners will also have access to the acclaimed HOT WHEELS® VIDEO RACER® toy car with its built-in video camera (live link: http://www.hotwheels.com/videos/hot-wheels-video-racer), so you’ll be able to shoot some incredible P.O.V. footage of your HOT WHEELS® toy cars as they race through the WALL TRACKS “Rube Goldberg”-inspired contraption.
--Target Audience: Primary: Boys 3-6; Secondary: Moms of boys 3-6. Content should be both Kid and Mom-friendly and settings should be “happy” places that mom would approve of.
This project will be worth a total of $30,000 and consist of two phases, a Pitch Phase and a Video Phase. Be sure to read the following information carefully.
PHASE 1: PITCH – Using text (500 characters or less), images (storyboards), video, and external links (to other supporting assets, i.e., your reel, etc.), give us your Pitch for how YOU would go about producing an insanely awesome 1-2 minute video based on the project objective. The FOUR most compelling Pitch Entries will be selected and the winning Members will receive a $750 production advance and a set of HOT WHEELS® WALL TRACKS™ products and a VIDEO RACER® toy car to help create their video during the Video Phase. Those winners (upon submitting their Winner's Affidavit and IP Assignment) will also be GUARANTEED to a winning place in the subsequent Video Phase. So, if your Pitch Entry is selected and you submit a video during the Video Phase, you will win a minimum of $1,750 with a 1-in-6 shot at the $12,000 first place video prize. Remember your Pitch Entry can include any, and all, of the assets mentioned above. But you MUST include a link to some of your previous video work on Tongal or elsewhere to be considered for this phase. To avoid information cascades, all Pitch Entries will remain private until after the winners of the Video Phase are announced. Alternatively, even if you don’t win the Pitch Phase or choose not to create a pitch, you will still have the opportunity to create a “Wild Card” video completely of your own creative devices during the Video Phase.
PHASE 2: VIDEO – The FOUR winning Pitch Phase Members from the Pitch Phase will utilize their $750 advance, along with the set of HOT WHEELS® WALL TRACKS™ products, to create a 1-2 minute video (including a 5 second bumper) based upon their winning Pitch Entry. In addition, the Video Phase is open to all other Members, who are invited to submit Video Entries. For purposes of this Contest, these additional Video Entries are referred to as “Wild Card” Video Entries. For the Video Phase, please be advised that there is no minimum or maximum amount of WALL TRACKS™ products that may or must appear in a Video Entry. Members may use their own WALL TRACKS™ track sets, obtain sets from family and friends or purchase sets from retailers such as Mattel Shop at shop.mattel.com. And, Members may also use other HOT WHEELS® track sets and products in their Video Entries. The Judges will score all Wild Card Video Entries. The two (2) highest scoring Wild Card Video Entries and the 4 winning Pitch Entries will be scored to determine the standings for the Video Entry prizes. Remember, the FOUR winning Pitch Phase Members WILL BE Video Phase winners, as will TWO of the Wild Card Video Entry Members, and, subject to the Official Rules and these Project Details, each of the six (6) winning Members of the Video Phase will be entitled to one of the Video Phase cash prizes.
--Music: Tongal has partnered with Audiosocket, a boutique music licensing and technology company representing more than 2,400 emerging bands, composers and record labels. This is not "stock" music. It is an inventory of more than 40,000 original, culturally relevant songs and music that have been compiled into a premium roster. Audiosocket's music will be available to Tongal members at no charge solely for their incorporation into Tongal members' submissions to the Hot Wheels Project. Tongal members are encouraged to browse the Audiosocket roster, available by clicking on the "Audiosocket" button on the right hand side of this page. If you are interested in using a track from the Audiosocket roster, as described above, just add the track(s) you want to use to your cart using the "+cart" button, then click the "checkout" button. Enter the Tongal project name and click the "purchase and download" button to acquire the track for free ($0.00). Lastly, click the "download track" button, which will initiate the music file download.
1. This Contest is open only to Members that reside in the United States and its territories.
2. Videos MUST not exceed 120 seconds in length. Preferred format is HD 720p 16x9. Acceptable file formats are .mov, .avi, .mp4, .wmv. Acceptable codecs are H.264 (MP4), MPEG-4, H.263, MPGV, WMV, DivX.
3. Except as permitted by item 4, your submission must be wholly original to you and never submitted to any other party or contest.
4. Your submission must be created without the use of: (i) any property, materials, or rights of any third party, unless you have the necessary rights, permissions or authorizations to use such property, materials, or rights (in writing through your use of the Tongal-provided clearance forms [Click to link where forms are available]); or (ii) any other person’s contributions, unless you have such person’s written permission (in writing through your use of the Tongal-provided clearance forms [Click to link where forms are available]). You shall provide detailed information of your submission or any part thereof regarding the source, the creator and background information upon request by Tongal.
5. Your video should include HOT WHEELS® WALL TRACKS™ toy vehicles and track sets as a main component of your “Rube Goldberg”-inspired contraption. Accordingly, you may use Sponsor’s materials expressly permitted on the Project Details Page.
6. If you incorporate music into your submission, you are permitted to use only your original music or Tongal-licensed music that is specifically made available to you for your use in your submission.
7. Please use your best judgment given the products you are depicting. Location should be safe (not in the street, off balconies, by pools, garages, etc.), the materials used should be safe (no blowtorches, sharp objects, etc.), and any persons shown are acting in a safe and legal manner (e.g. no "jackass" type stunts).
8. Submissions must not portray the Sponsor or the HOT WHEELS® brand in a negative way, the determination of which will solely reside with Sponsor and the Judges.
9. Submissions must keep the maturity of the intended audience in mind; show responsible and courageous treatment of serious issues; respect diversity, difference and cultures; not condone or encourage unsafe, unhealthy, reckless or illegal acts; portray adult language and situations with extreme care; not glamorize or condone gratuitous violence. The determination of the forgoing is solely at the discretion of Sponsor and the Judges.
10. Videos must be in the English language or subtitled.
11. Limit 5 submission(s) per Member, per phase.
12. Minimum 50 Pitches, or the contest will repost for 14 days.
13. Sponsor is entitled to and may request one round of reasonable revisions to one or more of the six (6) winning Video Entries without providing additional compensation to the winning Members. If revisions are requested, Tongal will provide a reasonable period of time for the Member(s), of whom Sponsor requests revisions, to perform the revisions and to provide the revised Video Entry to Tongal for final judging. Further, if revisions are requested, it will occur after the winning Video Entries have been determined, but before the standings are announced to the Tongal community. The revisions will not factor into the selection of the final six (6) winning Video Entries, but they may factor into the standings among those six (6) winning Video Entries. Remember it's easier to re-edit than re-shoot so try to get as much coverage as possible.
14. In addition to the standard Tongal W-9, Winner Affidavit, and IP Assignment, winning Video Phase Members MUST also provide Talent, Location, and Music Releases for all assets appearing in the video as well as the project files, editing sequence and an uncompressed QuickTime .mov file in either Animation or ProRes 422 codecs at either 1920x1080 or 1280x720 to claim your prize.
15. You cannot enter a submission if you currently work or have ever worked for a toy company.
16. You cannot enter a submission if you currently work for, or have other obligations to, a party that would have any ownership or other interest in the submission or your submission would violate any rights of that party or would be contrary to any of your obligations to that party.
17. You understand that your submission is not being submitted to Sponsor in confidence or in trust and that no confidential or fiduciary relationship is intended or created between you and Sponsor by submission of your entry. Your submission will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary. Sponsor finds that many submissions that it receives, including those from professionals, are already in the public domain; or are identical or substantially similar to products developed or in development by Sponsor’s own staff; or, for a host of many other reasons, are not novel or unique. You acknowledge and agree that Sponsor’s use of other material containing elements similar to or identical with those contained in your submission will not obligate Sponsor to negotiate with you or entitle you to any compensation and Sponsor will not be liable to you in any way.
18. See OFFICIAL RULES for additional contest information, terms and conditions. If there is any conflict or inconsistency between these Requirements and the Official Rules, the terms and conditions of these Requirements shall prevail.