We didn’t come to America for freedom, to feel liberated or to escape persecution. We came for the TV. With no more than the shirts on our backs, we came to the land of opportunity – and by opportunity, we mean HBO, Anderson Cooper, The Simpsons and even PBS.
Who could imagine TV getting any better or more rewarding (have you seen Mad Men)? A startup called Viggle did…and it’s working to redefine the American Dream with its vision for rewarding TV-lovers like you for doing what you love. Does that sound too good to be true? Check it out:
Viggle is a loyalty program for TV and mobile app (iOS and Android) that gives people real rewards for checking into the TV shows they love. Viggle automatically identifies the TV shows its members are watching and awards them points when they check-in. Points can be redeemed within the app for rewards such as movie tickets, song downloads and gift cards or they can be converted into charitable donations.
There are other social TV apps out there that let you tell your friends on social networks where you are or what you’re watching, doing, eating or drinking, but what true friend really cares and don’t you want some free stuff? Isn’t that what this country is all about? Beyond checking in, Viggle lets you get bonus points for engaging directly with the shows you’re watching through Viggle LIVE – a real-time program of voting, polls and quizzes in synch with what’s on air.
With apps like Viggle, maybe TV can get better after all. Super sized even? It’s a good day for America…and man, our forefathers would be proud.
Viggle…Watch TV. Get Rewards.
The goal of this project is to create a fun, edgy and humorous 30-90 second video to generate awareness and drive trial of Viggle. The ideal video will have a “viral” sensibility like Dollar Shave Club that explains what Viggle is and why we think it should become a habit in a hilarious “I-have-to-pass-it-along” kind of way. It may help to think of Viggle as an easygoing, smart, confident and quirky friend who is full of energy and always up for a good time. Also “Smart funny” is critical, Irreverent is just fine, but Sexual humor is passé.
--Key Marketing Messages:
• Watch TV. Get Rewards.
• Viggle rewards me for what I love to do and am doing already: watching my favorite TV shows.
• Viggle makes TV better and more fun.
--Target Audience: 18-34. Skews slightly more female. Smart phone owners. Avid TV fans who are passionate about their favorite shows.
--Exposure: Placement on Viggle.com to give site visitors an overview of what the service is. Use in social media to drive buzz.
This project will be worth a total of $15,000 and consist of three phases. Also, this tournament style process will progress differently from previous projects, so be sure to read the following information carefully.
PHASE 1: IDEA – Tell us your Idea for a 30-90 second video in 140 characters or less. Remember, an Idea is not a detailed script; it is a tweet-sized spark of inspiration, or a distillation of what will happen in the Video. As always, Ideas should be clever and engaging. Winning Idea creators will each receive $250 and a 5% residual payment for every winning video their Idea is used to generate.
PHASE 2: PITCH – Using text (500 characters or less), images (storyboards), video, and external links (to other supporting assets, i.e., your reel, etc.), give us your Pitch for how YOU would go about producing a Video based on one of the winning Ideas. The three most compelling Pitches will be selected and will receive a $500 production advance to help create their video. Those winners (upon submitting their Winner's Affidavit and IP Assignment) will also be GUARANTEED to place in the subsequent Video Phase. So, if your Pitch is selected, you will earn a minimum of $2,000 with a 1-in-4 shot at the $8,000 first place video prize. Remember your Pitch can include any, and all, of the assets mentioned above, but you MUST include a link to some of your previous video work on Tongal or elsewhere to be considered for this phase. For an example of an effective pitch, check out Sean Clark’s winning Benjamin Moore “Find Your Perfect Color” Pitch. To avoid information cascades, all Pitches will remain private until after the video winners of the subsequent phase are announced. Alternatively, even if you don’t win the Pitch Phase or choose not to create a pitch, you will still have the opportunity to create a “Wild Card” Video completely of your own creative devices in the subsequent Phase.
PHASE 3: VIDEO – Winning Pitch creators from the previous phase will utilize their $500 advance to create a 30-90 second video based upon their winning materials and all other creators are invited to enter a “Wild Card” submission. Remember, the three Pitch winners are GUARANTEED cash prize as is one of the wild card submitters.
1. Videos MUST not exceed 90 seconds in length. Preferred format is HD 720p 16x9. Acceptable file formats are .mov, .avi, .mp4, .wmv. Acceptable codecs are H.264 (MP4), MPEG-4, H.263, MPGV, WMV, DivX.
2. Unless provided otherwise, all work must be your own original creation and free of any copyrighted material. You shall provide detailed information of your work regarding the source, the creator and background information as requested by Tongal.
3. Videos MUST include the following statement at least once – “Viggle. Watch TV. Check in. Get Rewards.”
4. In the event you utilize any third party materials, such as music provided by a third-party music provider, you must obtain full written license and consent from the owner of such third party materials and provide such license and consent forms to Tongal.
5. Submissions cannot contain any profanity, offensive language, nudity or otherwise objectionable material, the determination of which is solely at the discretion of Viggle.
6. Submissions must not portray Viggle in a negative way, the determination of which will solely reside with Viggle.
7. Videos must be in the English language or subtitled.
8. Limit 5 submission(s) per member, per phase.
9. Minimum 50 Pitches, or the contest will repost for 14 days.
10. Sponsor will be entitled to one reasonable round of revisions on the finished videos without providing additional compensation. Remember it's easier to re-edit than re-shoot so try to get as much coverage as possible.
11. In addition to the standard Tongal W-9, Winner Affidavit, and IP Assignment, winning video creators MUST also provide Talent, Location, and Music Releases for all assets appearing in the video as well as the project files, editing sequence and an uncompressed quicktime .mov file in either Animation or ProRes 422 codecs at either 1920x1080 or 1280x720 to claim their prize.
12. See OFFICIAL RULES for additional contest information, terms and conditions. If there is any conflict or inconsistency between these requirements and the Official Rules, the terms and conditions of these requirements shall prevail.