Whether it’s 99 Problems or First World Problems, the bottom line is: People have problems and not enough ways to solve them. Not enough time, not enough money, not enough minds. And that’s where TopCoder comes in…
TopCoder is a lot like Tongal, but for software development and digital creation.
• TopCoder is an online community of hundreds of thousands software developers, algorithsmists, and digital designers.
• TopCoder hosts specific online competitions that produce and deliver the best digital solutions for their Global 1000 and Government Agency clients.
• TopCoder oversees the entire process from Idea conceptualization through software development and asset maintenance (like bug fixes).
So, what is EOI? TopCoder’s “Enterprise Open Innovation” (EOI) is the evolution of crowd sourcing. Basically, a company comes to TopCoder with a problem. Then TopCoder launches a competition that engages their community of almost a half million people from around the world – highly talented individuals with global perspectives, varied skill sets, and unique life experiences – to come up with better solutions than, let’s say, a handful of that company’s executives sitting in a boardroom. In terms of the age-old adage, if 2 heads are better than 1, then hundreds of thousands of heads are definitely better than 1.
Which is where YOU come in: TopCoder wants you to create a video that emphasizes the power in the multiplication of the individual and helps companies better understand EOI.
The goal of this project is to create an exciting and engaging 90-120 second video that raises awareness about TopCoder’s “Enterprise Open Innovation” and focuses on the power in the multiplication of the individual. Your videos should speak to enterprises that have problems and needs, and drive them to TopCoder EOI for all of their solutions and overall business success.
As far as execution, we are open to animation, but we’d also encourage mixed media.
--Key Marketing Message: “Try more often, succeed more often, and spend less.”
--Executional Mandatories: TopCoder would like your videos to include the 3 pillars of what they actually build:
1) Front-end of Innovation= ideas, concepts, designs, UI/UX, storyboards, architectures, etc.
2) Software Development = language agnostic, industry agnostic, on-demand talent.
3) Algorithms, Big Data, Analytics = optimization and innovation in the algorithm and data space.
--Target Audience: Senior Level individuals at Fortune 1000 Enterprises.
--Tone: Professional, future forward, less mechanical and more human. Ideally, your video should pique interest and generate curiosity. Please do NOT include animals or anything overly “cute”.
--Exposure: TopCoder website, YouTube.
This project will be worth a total of $24,000 and consist of two phases, a Pitch Phase and a Video Phase. Be sure to read the following information carefully.
PHASE 1: PITCH – Using text (500 characters or less), images (storyboards), video, and external links (to other supporting assets, i.e., your reel, etc.), give us your Pitch for how YOU would go about producing a 90-120 second video based on the project objective. The TWO most compelling Pitch Entries will be selected and the winning Members will receive a $500 production advance to help create their videos during the Video Phase. Those winners (upon submitting their Winner's Affidavit and IP Assignment) will also be GUARANTEED to a winning place in the subsequent Video Phase. So, if your Pitch Entry is selected and you submit a video during the Video Phase, you will win a minimum of $3,500 with a 1-in-3 shot at the $15,000 first place video prize. Remember your Pitch Entry can include any, and all, of the assets mentioned above. But you MUST include a link to some of your previous video work on Tongal or elsewhere to be considered for this phase. To avoid information cascades, all Pitch Entries will remain private until after the winners of the Video Phase are announced. Alternatively, even if you don’t win the Pitch Phase or choose not to create a pitch, you will still have the opportunity to create a “Wild Card” video completely of your own creative devices during the Video Phase.
PHASE 2: VIDEO – The TWO winning creators from the Pitch Phase will utilize their $500 advance to create a 90-120 second video, based upon their winning Pitch Entry. In addition, the Video Phase is open to all other Members, who are invited to submit Entries. For purposes of this project, these additional Video Entries are referred to as “Wild Card” Video Entries. The Judges will score all Wild Card Video Entries. The one (1) highest scoring Wild Card Video Entry and the 2 winning Pitch Entries will be scored to determine the standings for the Video Entry prizes. Remember, the TWO winning Pitch Phase Members WILL BE Video Phase winners, as will ONE of the “Wild Card” Video Entry Members, and, subject to the Official Rules and these Project Details, each of the three (3) winning Members of the Video Phase will be entitled to one of the Video Phase cash prizes.
1. Videos MUST not exceed 120 seconds in length. Preferred format is HD 720p 16x9. Acceptable file formats are .mov, .avi, .mp4, .wmv. Acceptable codecs are H.264 (MP4), MPEG-4, H.263, MPGV, WMV, DivX.
2. Unless provided otherwise, all work must be your own original creation and free of any copyrighted material. You shall provide detailed information of your work regarding the source, the creator and background information as requested by Tongal.
3. In the event you utilize any third party materials, such as music provided by a third-party music provider, you must obtain full written license and consent from the owner of such third party materials and provide such license and consent forms to Tongal.
4. Submissions cannot contain any profanity, offensive language, nudity or otherwise objectionable material, the determination of which is solely at the discretion of TopCoder.
5. Submissions must not portray TopCoder in a negative way, the determination of which will solely reside with TopCoder.
6. TopCoder should always be spelled as one word, with 2 capitals. It should always be in one color (unless using the actual logo, which is always in two colors). Red & Black are the predominant colors, but creators should not feel limited to this spectrum.
7. Videos must be in the English language or subtitled.
8. Limit 5 submission(s) per member, per phase.
9. Minimum 30 Pitches, or the contest will repost for 7 days.
10. Sponsor will be entitled to one reasonable round of revisions on the finished videos without providing additional compensation. Remember it's easier to re-edit than re-shoot so try to get as much coverage as possible.
11. In addition to the standard Tongal W-9, Winner Affidavit, and IP Assignment, winning video creators MUST also provide Talent, Location, and Music Releases for all assets appearing in the video as well as the project files, editing sequence and an uncompressed quicktime .mov file in either Animation or ProRes 422 codecs at either 1920x1080 or 1280x720 to claim their prize.
13. See OFFICIAL RULES for additional contest information, terms and conditions. If there is any conflict or inconsistency between these requirements and the Official Rules, the terms and conditions of these requirements shall prevail.