1 in 3 college freshman don’t make it to their second year of college. Think about that for a moment. There’s a real disconnect in America - which has recently fallen to “average” in the international education rankings – when roughly 33 out of every 100 kids we send off to get higher education come back a year later. Dropped out. No college degree.
Despite our overwhelming obsession with Super Sizing, not even all the fast-food joints across the nation could physically accommodate that surplus of burger flippers. And unless there's a swelling demand for ditches that we don't know about, we've got a problem.
Meet Alleyoop. The solution. Alleyoop is a new online “college readiness” network for teens who may need extra help outside of the classroom to get ready for college. Truth is, many teens don’t have access to good college guidance and not everyone can afford a private tutor… until now.
Rooted in the belief that it all starts with mastering math and science, Alleyoop’s one-on-one tutoring, helpful videos and 1000’s of fun practice games and activities give teens the tools they need to not only get into college, but to succeed once they’re there.
The goal of this project is to create a fun and creative 60-90 second video that generates exposure for Alleyoop as a fun brand that “gets” teens and wants to help them succeed in high school, college and ultimately a career.
Your videos should spread awareness for the overall theme of “college readiness”, the need for it, and why teens getting B’s and C’s are at high risk of going to a college and not graduating.
Lastly, Alleyoop wants to bring sexy back to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) education. STEM jobs are the highest-paying and fastest-growing careers of the future… and we think that’s pretty hot.
--Executional Mandatories: Your videos should incorporate at least one, but preferably more, of Alleyoop’s four brand pillars, as listed below:
1) Alleyoop is a fun, game-infused way to learn math and science.
2) Alleyoop understands how you learn, and provides personalized recommendations from 1,000’s of activities that will help you learn best.
3) Alleyoop is made up of a vast network of learning partners like Nat Geo, Virtual Nerd, NASA eClips, and the National Science Foundation.
4) Alleyoop is available 24/7 to help you get ahead, cram, or learn more about what you’re interested in.
--Tone: Fun, smart, energetic, supportive, zany/irreverent.
--Target Audience: Primary: Teens 13-17 years old. Secondary: Parents of Teens, and Educators.
--Exposure: Social Media, Internal and External Demonstrations.
This project will be worth a total of $12,500 and consist of three phases. Also, this tournament style process will progress differently from previous projects, so be sure to read the following information carefully.
PHASE 1: IDEA – Tell us your Idea for a 60-90 video in 140 characters or less. Remember, an Idea is not a detailed script; it is a tweet-sized spark of inspiration, or a distillation of what will happen in the Video. As always, Ideas should be clever and engaging. Winning Ideas creators will each receive $250 and a 5% residual payment for every winning video their Idea is used to generate.
PHASE 2: PITCH – Using text (500 characters or less), images (storyboards), video, and external links (to other supporting assets, i.e., your reel, etc.), give us your Pitch for how YOU would go about producing a fun and creative 60-90 second video based on the THREE winning ideas. The TWO most compelling Pitch Entries will be selected and the winning Members will receive a $500 production advance to help create their video during the Video Phase. Those winners (upon submitting their Winner's Affidavit and IP Assignment) will also be GUARANTEED to a winning place in the subsequent Video Phase. So, if your Pitch Entry is selected and you submit a video during the Video Phase, you will win a minimum of $2,500 with a 1-in-3 shot at the $6,000 first place video prize. Remember your Pitch Entry can include any, and all, of the assets mentioned above. But you MUST include a link to some of your previous video work on Tongal or elsewhere to be considered for this phase. To avoid information cascades, all Pitch Entries will remain private until after the winners of the Video Phase are announced. Alternatively, even if you don’t win the Pitch Phase or choose not to create a pitch, you will still have the opportunity to create a “Wild Card” video completely of your own creative devices during the Video Phase.
PHASE 3: VIDEO – The TWO winning Pitch Phase Members from the Pitch Phase will utilize their $500 advance to create a 60-90 second video based upon their winning Pitch Entry. In addition, the Video Phase is open to all other Members, who are invited to submit Video Entries. For purposes of this Contest, these additional Video Entries are referred to as “Wild Card” Video Entries. The Judges will score all Wild Card Video Entries. The one (1) highest scoring Wild Card Video Entry and the 2 winning Pitch Entries will be scored to determine the standings for the Video Entry prizes. Remember, the TWO winning Pitch Phase Members WILL BE Video Phase winners, as will ONE of the “Wild Card” Video Entry Members, and, subject to the Official Rules and these Project Details, each of the five (3) winning Members of the Video Phase will be entitled to one of the Video Phase cash prizes.
1. Videos MUST not exceed 90 seconds in length. Preferred format is HD 720p 16x9. Acceptable file formats are .mov, .avi, .mp4, .wmv. Acceptable codecs are H.264 (MP4), MPEG-4, H.263, MPGV, WMV, DivX.
2. Unless provided otherwise, all work must be your own original creation and free of any copyrighted material. You shall provide detailed information of your work regarding the source, the creator and background information as requested by Tongal.
3. Videos must mention Alleyoop once at the beginning and once at the end of your video. You must show the Alleyoop logo twice in the your video, as found under the “Assets” tab.
4. In the event you utilize any third party materials, such as music provided by a third-party music provider, you must obtain full written license and consent from the owner of such third party materials and provide such license and consent forms to Tongal.
5. Submissions cannot contain any profanity, offensive language, nudity or otherwise objectionable material, the determination of which is solely at the discretion of Alleyoop.
6. Submissions must not portray Alleyoop in a negative way, the determination of which will solely reside with Alleyoop.
7. Videos must be in the English language or subtitled.
8. Limit 5 submission(s) per member, per phase.
9. Minimum 25 Pitches, or the contest will repost for 14 days.
10. Sponsor will be entitled to one reasonable round of revisions on the finished videos without providing additional compensation. Remember it's easier to re-edit than re-shoot so try to get as much coverage as possible.
11. In addition to the standard Tongal W-9, Winner Affidavit, and IP Assignment, winning video creators MUST also provide Talent, Location, and Music Releases for all assets appearing in the video as well as the project files, editing sequence and an uncompressed quicktime .mov file in either Animation or ProRes 422 codecs at either 1920x1080 or 1280x720 to claim their prize.
12. See OFFICIAL RULES for additional contest information, terms and conditions. If there is any conflict or inconsistency between these requirements and the Official Rules, the terms and conditions of these requirements shall prevail.